Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The New Rig

It shall be called Skynet4.

This time around, I decided to go with Cyberpower PC instead of Alienware.  The reasons for this were two-fold.  One, Alienware is expensive.  This was most definitely an impulse buy for me this time around, but I didn't want to spend the usual several thousand dollars that I typically spend on a computer.  Two, Cyberpower has very good reviews.  Right, so the details:

Case:  In-Win Dragon Rider Full Tower Case w/ 1x120mm Front Fan, 1x220mm LED Side Fan, Front USB 3.0 x 2 & Water-Cooling Hole Ready [+82] (Black Color)

In English:  It's a cool looking case with a window to see the internal components, and easy-access opening to refill the water coolant, and extra fans to help with cooling.

CD-ROM Drive:  24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (RED COLOR [+9])

In English:  Standard stuff -- CD and DVD burner of the normal variety.  Nothing fancy.

Coolant:  Standard Coolant

In English:  Think of this as anti-freeze, but with the opposite affect.  It's the liquid that flows through the tubes that make up the liquid cooling aspect of the system.  Basically, it's superior because the liquid absorbs heat better, and then flows away from your computer's CPU, making it run cooler.  Liquid cooling is also quieter than having a bunch of fans.

CPU:  Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Extreme Edition 3.30 GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)



In English:  This is one of the best CPUs you can buy right now, and it was one of the most expensive parts of the rig.

Extra Fans:  Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case.

In English:  I have this thing about keeping my computer cooled enough.  That tends to happen when you've had one almost go up in flames on you once.

Engraving:  Dragon Design.



In English:  Yeah, so I splurged a little and got a big dragon engraved on the side of the case.  BECAUSE I COULD.

Cooling:  Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fans (Push-Pull)



In English:  This is simply the description of the main cooling system.

Hard Drive:  2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD



In English: Doubled the amount of space I currently have from 1 TB to 2 TB.  Also, it's quite fast, but no where near the fastest you can buy (which is INSANELY expensive).

USB Hub:  Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub



In English:  I can never have enough USB ports.

Keyboard:  Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard w/ LCD Display



In English:  The only reason I got a new keyboard is because the one I have is very, very touchy and the spacebar PISSES ME OFF.  I double space all the time when I don't mean to.  John has probably noticed it when I type in Skype.  My  sentences sometimes   end up like  this.

Memory:  16GB (2GBx8) DDR3/2000MHz Quad Channel Memory



In English:  Yes, 16 GB of RAM.  Like a boss.

Monitor:  27" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre X270W-1080P LCD Display w/ Built-in Speaker, DVI, & HDMI-Input



In English:  Utterly unnecessary.  I'm a bad person.  Bad, bad, bad.  BUT I WANTED IIIIIIT!  D:

Mouse Pad:  Razer Sphex Gaming Grade Desktop Skins Mouse Pad

In English:  It's GAMING GRADE!  That makes it good, right?  RIGHT?

Motherboard:  (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P9X79 Deluxe Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ UEFI BIOS, BT GO, SSD Caching, 7.1 HD Audio, 1x Intel & 1x Realtek GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 2 PCIe X1



In English:  Okay, this is probably the most difficult to explain to a layman.  Er, basically this motherboard supports the high-end CPU, Memory, Hard Drive, and Video Card that I purchased with the system.  That's what all that jibberish tells you.  3-way SLI support means that it can support 3 video cards simultaneously, should I be utterly insane.  (I'm not --  I'm only getting ONE video card.  But I can upgrade later if I so desire!)

Mouse:  Razer Naga Epic USB Wired/Wireless Dual Laser 5600 DPI Gaming Mouse



In English:  I don't even know...

Network Card:  Killer™ 2100 - Gigabit Maximum Network Performance Online Gaming Network Interface Card



In English:  Er...it's just a fancy network card.  I plugs my internetz into it!

Operating System:  Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit Edition)

In English:  Of course.

Power Supply:  800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

In English:  The more stuff you have in your computer, the more power you need to run it, obviously.  I needed 800 watts due to the video card.

Warranty:  3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT



In English:  Playin' it safe.

Office Suite:  Microsoft® Office® 2010 Home and Business (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook + OneNote)



In English:  I needz mai spreadsheets and e-mailz!

Anti-Virus:  McAfee Internet Security 2012



In English:  Go away viruses!

Sound Card:  Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium PCI Express Sound Card

In English:  Only ze best when it comes to sound.

USB Expansion:  NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module

In English:  Like I said, I can never have enough USB ports!

Video Card:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card

In English:  The other most expensive part of this computer.  It's the best video card (from NVIDIA) that you can buy right now.

I had originally expected the delivery to be some time during the week after next -- the 23rd or something like that.  To my surprise, I got an e-mail last night (5 days after placing the order), telling me that it's been shipped and should be here this Thursday.  If that's true, I will be VERY impressed at their service.  *Is excited*  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...