Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Darkness II Sampling

This morning was a bit annoying, because there was an accident on I-376 that had traffic backed up for several miles.  It's really frustrating to be a bit late for work only because some asshat was probably driving too fast and caused an accident with their stupid self and their stupid BMW.  I don't wish any harm upon them, because that would be horrible of me.  But I do hope that his or her precious little car is marred beyond recognition.

But, in any case, I'm here now and I have a video to share with you.  The Darkness II comes out next week, February 7th I believe, but there's a demo out for it now.  I downloaded and played through it last night, mostly because I wanted help making the decision of playing that, or playing Kingdoms of Amalur.  They both come out the same day.

I think I'm actually still undecided.  This game has given me mixed feelings.  On the good side, it seems a lot of fun.  It kind of reminds me of Prototype in a way.  On the other hand, it's not what I was expecting at all.  It's listed as a horror game.  This is not a horror game.  There's a lot of horrifying things in it, but it is not a horror game.  When -you- are the monster, you are NOT in a horror game.  It's not possible to be scared when you are the thing causing terror.  It's just as simple as that.  Also, this game is like the SAW movies when it comes to "horror".  Grossing people out is not horror.  At least, not to me.  And that matters, because I am a horror connoisseur.

Enjoy the video though!  It invoked some rather humorous reactions out of me.


  


One other thing I wanted to mention today, as well.  For the most part, teamwork in games is dead.  Pretty big statement, eh?  Arguments:

  • Guild kill videos of raid bosses for WoW are now less common than videos of Death Knights soloing content.
  • LFD/LFR runs typically have 0 words spoken between the group.  When words are spoken, they are usually insults.
  • No one in LoL wants to play with you if you're new to the game.
  • TOR could be a single-player RPG.
  • Co-Op games are no longer about working together to achieve a goal, but are instead about seeing how creatively you can kill your co-op partner by "accident".  (Portal 2 walks a fine line here, and for the most part is the exception to the rule.  But not always -- there are still plenty of opportunities to be a dick to your co-op partner.)
  • Co-Op games that do not encourage being a dick to your co-op partner are usually crap, with the co-op mode feeling "tacked on".  

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to disagree with my statement.  Perhaps I'm just having one of those days where I don't like people.  But the arguments here are valid. 

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...