Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Let's Talk Story

The main focus of this post, and thus the meaning of the title, is the storyline of Kingdoms of Amalur.  You know -- that game I've been obsessed with for a week now.  But I also feel like just rambling about absolutely nothing.  So before I get to the two videos I have to share, there's going to be some of that.  My condolences.

First, let's talk books.  I tried to get into a book by the name of Gardens of the Moon.  It's a fantasy novel by Steven Erikson, and it's the first book in a ten book series.  I was in the mood to read such a sprawling fantasy novel.  That desire was quickly raped and murdered by the start of that book.  I read the words, and it was the English language, but I comprehended nothing.  Eventually I decided that I actually wasn't in the mood to read such a novel after all, and I returned to Black House.  Well that was a novel idea.  (See what I did there?)  The first thing I read about when returning to that book about about a guy lying in bed shitting himself.  SUPER.  However, I will admit that after painfully getting through that oh-so-pleasant section, the book actually started to grab my interest.  The next section detailed a murder scene that no one has found yet, and it seems there's a serial killer on the loose.  Alright.  I can dig that.  I'm all for a good murder mystery.  I also like the style of the writing in this book.  The authors write like they're taking you with them on the story.  ("We look down up on the scene...")  I like that a lot.  If I ever find the creativity, patience, and time to write another anything again, I may try that out for myself.

This morning was rather irritating.  It was about 13 degrees outside, and you would think that such a temperature would prompt our department of transportation to treat the roads for ice.  They may have, I really don't know.  But if they did, they missed a spot.  A BIG HUGE SPOT.  On my way to work, traffic came to a screeching halt, so I figured there must be some kind of accident.  Some asshat on his cell phone probably got creamed.  As we crawled along at a speed that made me want to staple my hand to my face, I began to notice that the road actually seemed to have ice on it.  That's obviously not good if you intend to drive to work without the immediate risk of death.  Instead of finding one accident at the end of the traffic jam (which is a lot less pleasant than the finding of the gold at the end of the rainbow, by the way), I found THREE accidents, all of which happened in the same 500 feet of interstate that the department of transportation apparently failed utterly to attend to in the early hours of the morning.  Can you hear my sarcastic applause?

So on to the topic at hand, yes?  I said I was going to focus on the story of KoA, and these videos will do just that -- it's me playing through only the main questlines.  If you don't have the patience to sit through them (or you abhor the  quality of my videos because, let's face it, they're not exactly stellar now are they?), then I will give you a bit of a summary -- at least as much of it as I understand.

I went to the Theater of Fate with my friend the Fateweaver to try and figure out why I don't have a fate.  I didn't learn much, aside from the fact that the Tuatha are tracking me.  In order to get them off my back, I have to destroy a scrying crystal that they are using to watch my movements.  I do that, and earn the ire of the Tuatha's king.  (He looks amazing, btw.)  Additionally, I have to go talk to a tree (because why not?).  The tree is linked to the Fae, who are basically the "elves" of the story -- immortal beings who are very old and wise and all that jazz.  And naturally, the tree has tasks for me to perform before the story will move any further along.  He sends me to kill the Queen of the Trolls - Gnarsh.  Who, I learn, is now under the control of the Tuatha.  Those guys are really starting to be a menace!

Admittedly, none of this is really all that fascinating.  It's good stuff, and you get to see some great combat, animations, and environments, so that's a bonus.  You get to hear me get pissed at the combat, too, so that's all good. But I will say that the footage I recorded this evening totally blows this stuff out of the water.  So make sure you watch for that posting coming up in the next day or so.

For now, though, I leave you with these videos.




No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...