Thursday, October 13, 2011

Stoopid

Never underestimate the power of stupid people on the internet.  Give them an idea (a usually false or misconstrued one at that) and they will dig their claws into it and never let it go so long as they draw breath.  It happens every single day across any media, for any topic, in any corner of the world.  For me, I see this kind of thing on the topic of gaming more often than anywhere else, since I read a lot of gaming articles.  It sometimes makes me fall into the same trap -- I tend to start thinking that the gaming community is filled with a bunch of idiots.  

But then I remember the truth.  The entire PLANET is filled with a bunch of idiots.

In any case, I present you with my most recent example of human stupidity:

I was perusing the PC Gamer forums this morning, and there were two articles regarding Mass Effect 3.  The first one was explaining how ME3 will have over 40,000 lines of dialogue, which is nearly as much as ME1 and ME2 combined.  That's pretty damned cool, and it shows that Bioware are putting a lot of effort into making sure that ME3 has a rich and detailed story when we play through the single-player campaign.  It looks like they really want to make this (supposed) last installment of the series be a real grand finale.  Really cool stuff.

The next article contained a couple of screenshots of the newly-announced multiplayer aspect of the game.  It looks like salarians will be a playable race, which is pretty damned cool.  As I tend to do with articles on PC Gamer, I scrolled down to take a quick glance at the comments.  (I think I do this because I am an optimist, and I truly believe that one day, someone will make a comment that is a positive statement.  It hasn't happened yet.)

The one comment that stood out to me was some twit complaining that he doesn't want multi-player in his ME games and that adding such a feature will do nothing but dilute the single-player story and make it weaker, shorter, and less enjoyable.

He posted this comment in an article that was two mouse scrolls away from another article stating that ME3 will have as much dialogue as both previous games combined, showcasing Bioware's efforts to make the story as good as it can possibly be.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...