Monday, October 17, 2011

Jobs and Sniping and Driving, Oh My!

I'm sitting here listening to "Anyone's Ghost" by The National as I write this.  I have a new love for this song because I heard it at the beginning of Grey's Anatomy last Thursday.  Hearing songs I love in strange places tends to give me a new appreciation of them.  

As for the topic at hand, I reached a few interesting milestones in Rage this evening.  The first of these was getting a bit of exposure to the secondary quests, which I retrieved from a job board in the middle of Wellspring.  Aside from the "sniping game" quest, where I simply had to sit in one place and snipe bad guys, the rest of the quests sent me into places I've already been to.  I didn't mind that -- the environments are so detailed and well done, having a second look at them was actually quite enjoyable.

I also explored a few new places, with nothing terribly exciting to report there in regards to the environments.  It was a lot of dank sewers, dark buildings, and creepy paths.  I didn't care, though, since I was too busy shooting everything that moved.





More importantly, I finally had my first exposure to both The Authority and The Resistance.  I was given a quest to go down into the water systems of Wellspring to take care of the bandits there who were trying to poison the town's water supply.  After retrieving their canister of poison, I was told to take it to that creepy doctor with the robot on his shoulder.  He then refined it a bit and told me to take it to Elizabeth, a resistance fighter.  Apparently the stuff will be quite useful to the cause.



Elizabeth, in turn, gave me a new quest.  Just a little stroll in the park:  Break into an Authority prison and rescue the leader of the Resistance.  Say what?

So I finally got to meet the Authority, and they're pretty tough bastards.  They wear red suits with forcefield-like armor around them.  Their suits and equipment can be disrupted and disabled with EMP grenades, which I conveniently learned how to craft just before heading over there.  It was pretty cool to be able to totally shut down turret guns, remove their body shields, and generally wreak havoc before shooting them full of holes.  I have a few new weapons now, too, but I'm mostly using my trusty pistol.  I -am- a gunslinger, after all.  Besides, I've got Fat Boy bullets, which sound delicious when fired and pack one hell of a punch.



So that dude is Captain Marshall.  And he's voiced by Steven Blum.  Of course he is.

After busting him out of prison, and helping him escape all guns-o-blazing style, I made my way back to Wellspring to a rather interesting surprise.  The Authority placed a bunch of drones in the town to monitor it, undoubtedly due  to what I'd done at their high security prison.  Whether I like it or not, I'm now part of the Resistance.  And the Authority wants me even more dead than they did before.  Now instead of simply being an Ark survivor, I'm an Ark survivor that just shot and blew up a whole bunch of their boys.  Oops.



Now that the Authority knows about me (I waved to them as I passed by the security cameras), they're going to hunt for my Ark.  I need to go find it, and that's the quest I'm on now.  I'll betcha 10-to-1 that Authority goons are there waiting for me when I arrive.  I'm going to stop by the shopkeeper and pick up some more Fat Boys.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...