Monday, May 30, 2011

A quick peek into how my mind doesn't work

Hi there! I'm John. You may know me from PD's previous posts. If you do, then you probably know that I'm a lunatic. If not, now you do know. Anyway! Steve made me a contributor to The PD Chronicles, so here I am contributing. I thought I'd start by talking about the game that got me and Steve together; World of Warcraft. Specifically, a raid instance in World of Warcraft. MORE specifically, a boss in World of Warcraft.

Chimaeron.

I hate this boss.

Now, if you're not familiar with how this boss works, he basically hits you with a bunch of abilities that instantly kill you. Thankfully, you have protection from being killed as long as you're above 10'000 health (a trivial amount compared to your maximum health) and as such the healers don't have to heal people above 10'000. This is made up for in the fact that Chimaeron uses these abilities very, very often. You have a few seconds to heal someone up to 10'000 health before they may get hit by another ability and die.

In short, it's a healing test.

Now, I'm a healer in WoW, and this fight is my bane. Why? Because my brain just doesn't compute this fight. I've played the game for 5 years and I know it pretty well. Unfortunately, this also means that I'm set in my ways. When I see someone's health drop, my natural instinct is to heal them up to 100% as fast as I can. This has a few exceptions (for instance when I know that person isn't going to be in any danger any time soon, so I can focus on someone else who needs healing more) but generally I'm good at raid healing and keeping people at high health.

This comes to bite me in the backside when I heal Chimaeron. When I see someone's health drop from 100% to 0% (1 health, the buff you get prevents you from totally dying as long as you're above 10'000 health remember) in under a second, I panic. I feel like I've done something wrong. Like they've stood in something they shouldn't have. But I know they haven't, and I (along with a couple of other healers) have a few seconds to get them back up to 10'000 as soon as possible. This would be fairly easy, even though more than one person at a time gets hit by an ability at once, were it not for the fact that I am a Druid!

Druids rely hugely on healing over time, so I can easily heal someone beyond 10'000 health with a single spell - provided I have more than 2 or 3 seconds to do it. There's even a spell called Massacre, where Chimaeron reduces everyone's hp to 1. I can easily use an Area of Effect heal to get people back into the 10k+ safe zone if given more than a few seconds, but there's no use. Even if they don't get hit by another ability, one of the other healers has used a direct heal that makes them safe. This makes me fairly useless in the Chimaeron fight. The only time where I get to be useful is when we lose the protection and we have to mitigate damage by grouping up and using loads of area of effect healing, and we're given more than a few seconds between hits. That only happens once every minute or two though, so the rest of the fight I'm twiddling my thumbs trying not to panic and healing for trivial amounts.

I never want to do that fight again. I know I'm gonna have to, though. But! In good news, my guild got Cho'gall down tonight after many, many nights of wiping on him. It's nice to finally beat that git, and celebrate our first completed Cataclysm raid as a guild!

(I'd add an image here, but both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer don't know what an image is on the internet so I'm just going to waste your time by continuing this sentence into a long, unneeded paragraph of drivel and nonsense and I really can't understand why you're still reading!)


No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...