Friday, March 11, 2011

Transcending Language Barriers

So we've all heard about that huge earthquake in Japan, and the subsequent tsunamis and after-shocks that followed.  Very tragic stuff, and I wish all the best to those affected by it.

It seems to be having a weird affect on our customers.  We had a conference call at 10:00 AM this morning with one of our customers, and she was very zen about the bugs in the system, for once.  She was praising our efforts, and even mentioned that she realizes she needs to work with us to resolve them.  She also mentioned that what happened in Japan could have happened to anyone.  Human nature is so weird.  This catastrophe compelled her to be a more reasonable customer, at least for now.  I just find that fascinating.

On a more humorous note, we got a company-wide email from one of our employees who lives and works in Japan.  The email was fairly simple:  She was just saying that she is fine, and thanked everyone for their concern.  She lives in Tokyo, which is "relatively" safe.  A few minutes after that, a reply to that email came.  (Yes, the person replied-to-all.  We have that problem a lot around here.)  This email was in mandarin.  (The people around me assumed it was in Japanese, but they attempted to translate it and it was gibberish.  I looked at the sender, and the name looked Chinese to me, so I ran it through Google Translator for Chinese instead.)

It basically said:  "I didn't realize it was that big.  I got a phone call about the earthquake earlier, and can feel the after-shocks now."

I replied, but not to all (because I would have probably gotten in trouble).  I put just my fellow co-workers on the email, because I knew they would appreciate my humor.  Since they said, "I didn't realize it was that big.", I naturally went back to Google Translator and translated "That's what she said" into Mandarin, put it in the email, and sent it.

Lots of laughing in the office ensued.  I win +1 internet.  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...