Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Great Outdoors

The cool thing about having XM radio in my car is that my head gets filled up with the names of all kinds of new bands (or new to me) that I want to check out in greater detail.  Anyone who might read one of the emails I send home to myself from work would be utterly confused, or would think that I'm using some kind of strange crypograph.  The email I just sent off said "Civil Twilight Drunk Girls Jupiter One".  Heh.

And now to totally derail that subject and move on to something else...Over my long weekend (Sunday and Monday to be exact), I went outside.  That's so fan-fucking-tastic and unbelievable that I really don't even need to say anything more, but I will anyway.  I started doing the typical spring clean-up things around the house, such as getting the flower beds around the house ready for planting.  I'm a fan of flowers and gardens in general.  I worked as a groundskeeper while I was in high school and I also took three courses on horticulture, floriculture, and hydroponics.  So I like to grow stuff.  We recently redid the whole landscape around my house, in the form of basically ripping out most of the God-forsaken shrubbery.  (Insert "Bring me a shrubbery!" joke here.)  My Dad constructed new flower beds using weather proofed lumber for borders.  The result is gi-fucking-normous boxed flower beds that I'm now rubbing my hands together in anticipation of filling with whatever the hell I choose.  On Saturday, I spent about $200 ordering a bunch of stuff from a catalog for planting -- trees, perennials, summer bulbs, etc.  And then on Sunday and Monday I did a little work getting the place ready by weeding and applying Preen.  If you're any kind of gardener and don't know what Preen is, go look it up.  It's great stuff. 

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...