Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cursive


I read a comic this morning that took a jab at how we as a society are less adept at writing in cursive because of the heavy use of typewriters, followed by word processors, followed by just about every person in the country having a computer, and finally the rise of texting and smart phones.  This made me remember when I was taught how to write in cursive in elementary school, and got me wondering if they still actually teach it in school today. 

I remember when I was taught cursive, I utterly hated it.  I still do, of course, because I really feel it was a worthless venture.  I felt this way and I didn't have my own cell phone yet, and I had just got my first Atari computer.  I didn't even know how to type yet.  (We're talking first grade, here.)
One of my co-workers has a young daughter, so I asked her about it and yes, apparently they still do teach cursive writing in elementary school.  According to Wikipedia though, it's taught with a lot less emphasis today, which is a good thing, I think. 

My own handwriting is a bit odd...and incorrect.  I write in all capital letters, with letters that are to be upper-case simply larger than letters that are to be lower case.  SO, I BASICALLY WRITE LIKE THIS.  This is mostly because I hate writing in cursive, and I dislike how lower case letters look when handwritten. It's a lot easier to write neatly in all caps, too, given the block nature of the letters. 

It's all moot at this point in civilization, though, since the only time I hand write anything is when I'm making a note to myself or when I'm signing my name.  No one needs to be able to read my signature anyway (it's basically just two capital letters and some squiggly lines). 

2 comments:

Mike P. said...

I've tried to write in cursive every so often to see if I can anymore. It's terrible. It looks about the same as it did in the 1st grade when I first learned how.

I print, but usually write so fast it looks like little squiggles. It's hilarious when write things out for the associates in my dept. because they complain they can't read it and it gives me an excuse to have to tell them to their faces.

I agree though, when I sign it's just a M(squiggle) P(squiggle).

Chris P. said...

It's true, his handwriting is terrible. Mine however, is very neat but it's an odd mix of cursive AND print and it varies. Could be a print "s" one word and a cursive the next.

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...