Friday, March 05, 2010

This is an interesting time of year.  The holidays are over, and all of those games that either weren't finished by Christmas or just "weren't BIG enough" are starting to be released.  It's this time of year where you'll find a lot of really decent and good games to play. 

Obviously, the biggest of these was released back in February:  Bioshock 2.  Totally lived up to its expectations and is an incredibly good game.  Mass Effect 2 was there also.  I'm sorry, but I'm meh on the ME franchise.  I do not question the quality of the games, though.  It just bores me. 

I tend to want to focus more on the smaller releases at this time of year, because I enjoy getting surprised by games in a positive way, rather than in a negative way.  For example:  Modern Warfare 2.  Totally overhyped.  Everyone wanted it.  And it was meh.  I hate that.  



Now, the first smaller release that I focused on was Aliens vs. Predator.  I played through the entire Colonial Marine campaign and loved it.  It was bascially like I was thrown into the middle of the movie Aliens.  Lovely.  King Arthur was an interesting surprise as well.  I was not expecting an RTS game to incorporate so many RPG elements into itself. 

In any case, there are a few more games on the horizon which could prove to be entertaining.  Namely:  the new STALKER game and Metro 2033.  Both of them are basically ripoffs of the Fallout franchise, in that they are shooters in a post-apocalyptic world.  However, both of them try to be slid more towards the horror end of the spectrum, instead of the more adventuring/questing form of Fallout.



Still, they could prove to be interesting.  I've already purchased and installed STALKER, so we'll be giving that one a go first.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...