Monday, March 15, 2010

Fallen Earth

Frontend 2010-03-14 20-12-08-44

This screenshot pretty much sums up the game for me as of this writing.  Just riding through the wilderness and exploring the world, as desolate as it may be. 

Okay, first, what is it?  Fallen Earth is a post-apocalyptic MMO with a huge focus on crafting.  That’s a very generalized overview.  A bit deeper, however, and you have this game that is not completely combat oriented, and is actually very, very complex. 

Now, make no mistake — this game is NOT for everyone.  I will say that if you are a casual gamer, you will MOST LIKELY not like this game.  It’s very time consuming, and it requires a lot of patience.  But if you’re willing to give it time and appreciate it for what it is, you’ll come to love it. 

First, let’s go over what I don’t like about this game.  To start with, it’s VERY complex.  This is both good and bad.  It’s good because I like complex.  I like having to think before I place that advancement point or choose a skill.  I like having to do a bit of research before I figure out how to craft a certain item or find an ingredient I need.  And in this game, where the main focus is NOT on combat, it works.  But, sometimes it’s just TOO complex.  It’s borderline intimidating.  Next, you can’t respec yet, although they are working on a way for you to do so.  So once you assign your advancement points, that’s the way they are.  Forever.  Good God that’s horrible.  And finally, why the fuck do I get stuck on every little dinky ass tree branch and railroad post in the fucking game!?  Argh!  Fix your clipping, dammit!

That’s about all I have to complain about.  The rest is pure enjoyment, but again, let me say that this type of game IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.  Let me explain to you the type of gamer you will have to be to like this game.  I will do this by explaining why I like the game. 

It is incredibly open ended.  You’re going to have no idea what you’re supposed to do, and you’re going to have to figure it out for yourself.  You will have to examine every little thing that you find, because you will most likely need it later.  Spider leg?  Keep it.  Weak antiseptic?  Keep it.  Tainted water?  Keep it.  Bruised green pepper?  You bet your ass you’ll need that later.  Almost EVERYTHING can be used to make something else, which contributes to the fact that this game is 95% crafting.  You will make your own gear.  You will make your own weapons.  You will make your own food.  You will make the ammo for your weapons.  Hell, you’ll make your own HORSE!  And everything that you need to make these things can be found out in the world.  In a garbage pile.  In a mining node.  In a plant node.  On something you just killed.  By skinning something you just killed.  It’s all out there. 

And if the item is useless…guess what?  The tooltip tells you so!  “A useless broken claw.”  Things are labeled VERY well.  And they make sense.  Hm, I need cotton.  Where do I get it?  Oh look, a plant called “Cotton Plant”.  Maybe I should pick it! 

The bottom line is, a majority of your time is spend riding around the world, exploring, scavenging, and then organizing what you found so you can make things.  That is relevent to my interests. 


We’ll see how long it holds it. 


Now playing: Linkin Park - The Little Things Give You Away

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...