Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Low Tech Gaming

I find it fascinating how low tech games are becoming MORE popular as time goes on, instead of the other way around.  For the most part, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, since the simplicity of browser based games appeal to a wider variety of people.  It's not just "gamers" who play these games, since they are so easy to get a grip on without a lot of the complication or huge learning curve.  At the same time, even the "gamers" play them because they are...games.  And that's what we do.  We play games.  I think a smaller part of it is that most of these browser based games are designed to really not take up too much of your time.  A lot of them only give you a limited number of turns or energy per day before you have to stop and come back tomorrow to continue.  It's actually a good system for people with addictive personalities, and it's a smart way for the developer of the game to ensure that while even the most casual person will be able to play it, none of them will be able to resist coming back day after day.


I think the games on Facebook are the biggest indication of just how popular these "low tech" games can be.  I'm not using the term low-tech in a derogatory way, either.  I'm simply pointing out that one of the most important things a gamer looks at is how pretty a game is.  It's all about the graphics.  But these games such as Farmville, etc, sort of prove the point that if you make a game where the gameplay is fun, it really doesn't matter what your platform is.  It can be in a simple internet browser.  


I play these games myself.  They encompass probably a total of 10 to 15 minutes of my time per day, and that's it.  But I play them every day because they are fun.  


The point of this post, actually, now that I've gotten through that bit of a tangent, is to point you towards this "zombie MMO":  http://www.deadfrontier.com/


The only reason I'm bringing this to your attention is because I have wanted a zombie MMO for YEARS now.  Literally, years.  And now, finally, thanks to how simple it has become to create your own computer game within a simple internet browser, I finally have it.  Low tech or not, at least one exists now.  (Technically, there has been Urban Dead for YEARS, which I have and still do on occasion play.  But it's even lower than low tech.  There's also Zombie Wars on Facebook, but it's just bad.)  Dead Frontier has the MMO elements and also some side-scroller shooting action.  


I still want a real zombie MMO though.  Do you hear me, game devs?

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...