Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mortal Online

Wow.  I haven't seen this much hate in a while, except maybe on the WoW forums when anyone is talking about a class that isn't their own.  (I could laugh at those people all day.)

So let me summarize things here a bit.  Mortal Online is an MMO that is currently being developed by Star Vault.  I guess the official launch of the game is supposed to be this month, and it has a whole shitload of fan boys up in arms about it.  I guess they're claiming it's not going to be ready.

Someone answer me this:  What MMO has ever been ready at its release? 

It's a rhetorical question.  The answer is NONE. 

I'm trying to figure out if most people just don't understand MMOs, or if they are simply unable to comprehend the fact that there are really two types of video games:  MMOs and not MMOs. 

Here's the point I'm trying to make here.  When you buy a not-MMO, you play it, you beat it, and you put it on your shelf.  Sometimes you play it again.  Sometimes you get some DLC to extend the life of the game.  But that's about it, and after you play it, replay it, and play the DLCs, you're done. 

MMOs are completely different.  They're meant to continue giving long after you bought the game.  And really, I'm not merely talking about content here, though that is a large part of the process.  I'm talking about fixing things that need to be fixed, adding features that need to be added, and enhancing things that need to be enchanced.  I believe that this should be considered part of the process of crafting a successful MMO, and this is why a lot of very intelligent people live by the rule that they wait at least ONE YEAR before they play any new MMO.  It's a smart rule to live by.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say here is...well what I'm NOT trying to say is that these people are wrong for thinking the game isn't ready.  It's an MMO.  Of course it's not ready.  But that's to be expected.  As long as they work to improve the game over time to make it the best it can be, then it will have a chance to succeed.  WoW is the perfect example of this.  If you compare Day 1 to Day Now, you will barely recognize the game, really. 

ANYway, Mortal Online looks like it's meant to be a spiritual successor to Ultima Online.  Given what I've seen, I probably won't play it, because I can get the same experience in Dragon Age, Oblivion, or The Witcher without having to pay a monthly fee (or having to deal with whiny fan boys complaining about how the game isn't finished yet). 

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...