Saturday, June 10, 2006

Retro Gaming

Today was a weird day. To start out with, I didn't feel very well this afternoon and kinda just lounged around in the recliner. I was so out of it, I was even too lazy to change the channel on the TV and ended up watching a marathon of Murder, She Wrote.

After some rest, though, I felt better and was in the mood to play a computer game. Nothing new has come out lately, so I looked through my current collection to see what I wanted to play. I knew it had to be a shooter, since that was what I was in the mood for. After some debate with myself, I decided on the original Half-Life. I haven't played through that game in quite some time, and playing it again was weird. I must say, for a game that came out in 1998, the graphics still hold up. The only part about them that kind of made me cringe were the models of the human characters. They're just awful. But everything else is pretty good.

Now, I'm playing a the newest version of Half-Life, which was reconfigured and put into the source engine, which is the engine that runs Half-Life 2. So, the physics in the game is a bit more advanced that any other time I've played the old version of the game. The most noticeable part was this jumping puzzle near the beginning of the game.

There are these 20' metal containers suspended over this pit by cables. You have to jump from container to container to get to the other side. I used to be able to do this puzzle with my eyes closed, but with the added physics the Source engine provided, it was a bit more difficult. When I would jump on a container, it would actually start swaying back and forth because of my weight -- it was quite neat.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...