Friday, November 11, 2005

My bowl runeth over...

Yesterday was a weird night. I was exceptionally tired for some reason, and as a result wandered through the house in a seemingly drug-induced daze. An event that happened right before I took a shower makes me think this was brought about in a divine nature, to prevent a tragedy from occuring. (Okay, not really, but hey it's cool to speculate like a deranged TV Evangelist sometimes.)

I went upstairs to take a shower, and realized that I also had to take a dump. Nothing unusual about that. This dump was an exceptionally masterful dump. In fact, had I realized it was going to become part of a blog worthy story, I would have taken pictures to share with you. Alas, at that moment, I didn't realize it was going to be anything more than just an exceptionally masterful dump.

I flushed the toilet and then started the water in the shower (no, we do not have that problem where flushing the toilet causes water temperature issues in the shower). The toilet flushed and the masterful dump disappeared into the oblivion that is the septic tank, but not all the water went down suggesting that there was a small backup. Nothing out of the ordinary there either, since my dumps (especially the exceptionally masterful ones) do tend to occasionally cause backed up toilets. I intended on just letting it go, since a lot of the times the water does eventually just flush on it's own and everything is peachy. This time, however, since I told you I was in a rather dazed state of sleepiness, I just stood there staring at the toilet for some unknown reason. This proved to be quite the lucky turn of events, because the stopper on the inside of the toilet that goes over the hole (where the water pours out of the tank into the bowl) didn't properly place itself over the hole, and thus the water from the water pipe wasn't filling the tank, it was just running into the toilet bowl itself. This, of course, started to cause an overflow of water onto the floor.

Had I immediately jumped into the shower after flushing the toilet, I wouldn't have realized this for another 10 to 15 minutes, and by then the whole bathroom floor could have had a few inches of water on it, and probably run into the basement (MY ROOM!) as well. Therefore, it was quite fortunate that my brain functions were so degraded from lack of sleep, that I stood there staring blankly at it while this happened.

Acting quickly, I grabbed the plunger and removed the blockage, allowing the water to flush normally. I then removed the lid from the tank and fixed the stopper, and all was well.

The best part was the question I got from my Mom when she got home:

"What happened to the toilet?"
"It overflowed."
"Why?"
"I took a dump."


No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...