Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Lining Stuff Up Sucks

It's probably for the best that I'm not an architect, engineer, or construction worker. I hate squaring things up. Especially things that I can't physically square, and must use measurements to do so. I am, of course, referring to lining up two opposite ends of a horseshoe court. I never knew it could be such a pain in the ass.

I'm still not sure the two frames are square with each other. They kind of look square. I measured both diagonals, and they are only a quarter of an inch off. That means they are basically square, or so I've been told. It then occured to me that I was trying to find one side of a right triangle. So I measured the width of the frames, and figured out how long the entire thing should be if 40' was in the center of the boxes as it should be. I squared both of these, added them together, and took the square root of the result to get 44', which is what the diagonal measurement should logically be. It's 43'11". Close enough, I'm not concerned with an inch.

So, measurement wise, they should be square. So why am I still here thinking about it? Because when I look at them, they don't look EXACTLY square. I know I should trust the measurements more than my own eyes, since the contours of the ground could easily throw the perspective off, but it still bothers me that I can't PHYSICALLY check to see if they are indeed square with each other. (I would need a laser to do it, and I'm not paying $1000 for a laser level)

If anyone ever mentions how easy it is to install a horseshoe court by driving two stakes in the yard, I'm going to shove a horseshoe peg up their ass sideways.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...