Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Don't Touch That Dial!

Life with central air conditioning has been a beautiful thing so far. I really don't know how I survived without it. But, today, a problem arose. Not a mechanical problem, there's nothing wrong with the system. It's more of a human problem.

I was down here in my "studio apartment" (I really like that term), and my Dad comes down and says, "Hey, it's getting cooler outside. I think we should turn the air conditioner off, at least just for a day to see how it goes." And I say, "Sure, fine."

About two hours later, I'm summoned upstairs by my Mom, who exclaims, "Did your father turn the air conditioner off?" And I says, "Yep."

The next question was so obvious she didn't even have to say it, "Why?!"
And I say, "To see how it goes."
"It was 85 today!"
"Actually, the high was 81" (She didn't like that response)

So, I turned and walked away, going back downstairs to ration food and supplies for the war I knew was going to breakout.

Several minutes later, Dad comes down to get something out of the dryer, and says, "Your mother is up there complaining about how hot it is." (It was only 76 in the house after the A/C was turned off, mind you.)

I'm sure if it's 81 degrees again tomorrow, it will indeed be too hot in the house. And if it was me in charge of the thermostat, I would probably just turn it up rather than shutting it off completely. But, I'm not touching the damn thing! Leave me out of this!

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...