Sunday, February 01, 2009

Let's talk RPGs for a moment. Notice I said RPGs, not MMOs. There's a different blog for that.

First off, Fallout 3 has been named RPG of the Year. And Game of the Year, coincidentally. I obviously haven't played it yet, but after reading the Game of the Year article I think I need to do so. I probably won't finish it until 2012, but hey, at least I can check it out. I think I still have some Best Buy gift cards lying around here somewhere.

I haven't played a new RPG since The Witcher (which was a very, very good game). And the thing that I liked best about The Witcher was the fact that I didn't keep playing it to get that new piece of loot so my character looked more badass, or so he was all the more powerful, or so that my stats went through the roof. I kept playing it because I wanted to see what happened next. It was the story that kept me engaged. My character looked visually the same from the time the game started to the point where the game ended, and I didn't even care. That's a very tricky thing to accomplish in an RPG, and The Witcher got it done in spades.

This brings me to my next topic, which is Dragon Age: Origins. I recently read a preview about this game, and I was surprised to see the person writing the article first commented on the very thing I just talked about above: he was driven to keep playing the game so he could see what was going to happen next. That alone makes me want to play it, but it has a lot of other positive things going for it as well. First of all, it's going to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, which should be enough to perk your interest right there if you're any kind of RPG fan. Next, it's being made by Bioware, who hasn't let me down yet. And lastly, I've seen some of the creature designs. Think of what kind of animal you would get if Winnie the Pooh fucked a cactus.

I'll leave you with that thought =)

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...