Thursday, February 19, 2009

Special Guest Star: Me

It's funny how we stop noticing certain things about ourselves. It's not surprising, though. Unless you have frequent out of body experiences, you're spending more time with yourself than any other person, so it's only natural that we grow accustomed to many of our own intricacies. As a result of this, sometimes we are surprised when other people point out certain things about ourselves. The term "All the world's a stage." is quite prevalent today, at least it is for me. I act differently depending on where I am and who I'm with. There's "Work Steve", there's "Home Steve", there's "Alone Steve", along with a few other Steve's hanging about. I've won a few Academy Awards for my role as me.

The point of this whole rambling post is something that happened to me at work the other day. Since I don't care to really know any of the people in this office who I don't work with directly, I make them afraid of me. I have most of them convinced that I have tourette syndrome, since I tend to yell random obscenities whenever any of them are in earshot. There was one kid that I actually kind of felt bad how frightened he was around me, so much that I almost told him I was just fucking with him. Anytime I would pass him in the hall, I would jump at him and yell "wharrrrrrglbl!". I'm glad I never told him, though, because he ended up being a sexual predator. He's in jail now.

Anyway, more to the point of this whole story: One of my more distinguishing personality traits is that I'm quite sarcastic. This is especially true when I'm dealing with rather stupid people, and as in any workplace there are lot of stupid people here. But here I play the role of "Work Steve", and I'm usually pretty good at keeping my sarcastic comments to myself. At least I thought I was, but this all goes back to how we tend to not notice certain things about ourselves.

I was in a manager's meeting, and my boss was ranting about the product manager for the software that I work with. He was just going off about the guy, about how much of a moron he is, about how he can't keep a release date to save his ass, etc, etc. After he was done with his tirade, he paused, took a breath, and then looked at me and said, "I'm starting to become nearly as sarcastic as you!"

You fail, Work Steve!

At least it's not really a problem. My boss seems to enjoy how sarcastic I am. He's taking lessons, actually.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I find it hard to believe that you're sarcastic! No way!

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...