Thursday, February 05, 2009

Taken from Wikipedia:

A third documentary film, titled His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th, is slated for a February 2009 release. The film will be directed by Daniel Farrands, who directed two documentaries on The Amityville Horror and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, and be broadcast on the Starz television channel the first week of February.[127] The film will also be released on DVD on February 3, 2009. The documentary is hosted by special make-up effects artist Tom Savini, and interviews cast and crew members from each of the films, asking them questions on how and why they made they choices they did during filming. It also features interviews with journalists and other filmmakers, who offer their opinion of the series.

This is, of course, referencing a new documentary for the Friday the 13th film series. Specifically, about Jason. I'm really looking forward to getting this on DVD for a number of reasons. First of all, obviously I'm a fan of the film series. I grew up with these movies, as they had just started reaching the peak of their popularity when I was about 8 or 9 years old. The part of this I like most of all, however, is that they got Tom Savini to host the program. I've always followed his career because he's a Pittsburgh native, and because I consider him a genius when it comes to special make-up effects. I love his style, and anytime you see him in a documentary or in behind-the-scenes footage, it always looks like he's having a blast. He loves his job, that's for sure.

I always enjoy how he usually uses himself for his most ambitious projects. The most notorious of these is, bar none, would be the "Disco Boy Scene" from the movie Maniac. Savini dressed himself up in full disco attire, and then had his head blown off by a 12 gauge shotgun at point blank range. This is the best image I could find of the scene on Google, which really is a piece of crap image to be honest and doesn't even begin to show you how realistic and disturbing the actual scene was.


But you get the idea. Might I add that the scene was shot in slow motion. You don't miss a thing. (The movie, as you can obviously guess, was released unrated. It would have most CERTAINLY been rated X otherwise.)

I think my favorite work of his would have to be all the Dead movies he worked on with George Romero (another Pittsburgh native!) And, of course, for creating the Jason that we all know and love today.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...