Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ok, so I'm replaying The Witcher.

First of all, let's go over why I stopped playing it the first time. Basically it was time. I think I started playing this game the first time right when I was first stepping into Black Temple in WoW. Not really a good time to start playing another RPG.

I did still have my saved game from back then, but I decided to start all over again from the beginning. The reasons for this stem from the same reasons I stopped playing the game -- time. When I went through the first time, I was only doing the primary quests that moved the story along. I ignored all the side quests. This time I'm doing every quest that I find, and it's really enhancing the story this time around. The only quests I'm not doing are the ones that I accidentally locked myself out of doing by moving the story forward before I was able to do them.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let's talk about the game. The main story is that you are a witcher. Witchers are mutants, and they go around hunting monsters. You're basically a medieval Jedi Knight, wielding swords and using telekinetic powers. My favorite "force" move right now is the knockback one, which throws bad guys back and to the ground. I recently got one that puts a seal on the ground. Enemies slow down when they walk over it, and I can enchance it further to cause them damage.

What's cool about the knockback move is that you can use it to quickly kill what you're fighting. Something that would normally take you 5 sword attacks to kill can be one-shotted when they're laying on the ground incapacitated, and the moves your character does when you perform such a "finishing move" is very fun to watch. My favorite one is when I jump up on the bad guy's shoulders and shove my sword down through his skull. And then backflip off of him.

So yeah, how about some screenshots:

This is from the very beginning of the game. This place served as Witcher headquarters before it was invaded by the Salamandra, who stole a whole bunch of the mutagen secrets that are the core of the Witcher's powers. The rest of the game involves tracking these guys down and trying to find out what exactly they plan on doing with the formulas they stole.

The Frightener, the first creature in the game that thoroughly kicked my ass until I finally figured out how to kill it.

This guy was very happy to see me. Lawl.

The graphics are impressive -- look at the detail on the marble floor and the lighting effects from the fireplaces.

How romantic.

Your mother sucks cocks in Hell.

The talent screen.

Scary!

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...