Friday, November 10, 2006

Someone likes it...

I've written several stories now. My desire to write stems from having certain ideas in my head that I realize would create a story that I would like to read, and thus I put the ideas in a notebook until I eventually have the material needed to create a full-fledged, flowing plot. But I don't write the stories so that I can show other people and ask them what they think....I write them because I want to know how they're going to end.

As such, I never really cared to have anyone read anything that I've actually written. This is coming from a person who was actually thrown out of high school for a full two weeks because of something he wrote. (Long story....ask me about it sometime.) This resulted in a particular disconcern for other people's opinions of my creations. This is not necessarily an unhealthy attitude, but many people began pointing out to me that if I'm going to create something, I should at least share it. Even in anonymity.

So, I decided to load a few of the things I wrote onto Fictionpress. I expected a few hits, maybe a few reviews saying "Ok, not great..", and that would be the end of it.

Instead, I got thousands of hits, dozens of reviews, and over 50 people adding the stories to their favorites list. (The site is cool, you can track all that information...) Here's the most recent review I've gotten:

Astonishing...this is by far the best story I have ever read on this or any other site. The fighting is well done, the characters are all different and interesting, and your writing style is great.


Honestly, I never thought anything I wrote was all that great, because like I said I just wanted to tell the stories for my own sake of completion. But I do appreciate that other people enjoy them as well, that's pretty cool.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...