Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quite honestly, I hate getting excited about a game.  The reason for this is because I do have a rather vivid and creative imagination, despite what might be apparent when talking to me, and therefore it makes it nearly impossible for my expectations for any game to be fully realized.  I don't blame game developers for this nonsense.  It's just the way things are.

For example, my expectations for Krater can be summed up basically as such: "A top-down, co-op Fallout ARPG."  That's hardly the case.

So when I read about all these games that are coming out in the near future from now until that dreaded holiday season, I find my inner-voice yelling at me, telling me to stop getting so damned excited.  I hate that voice.  Logic and reason are sometimes a pain in my ass, despite how much I rely on them.

How about I give you a few examples of some games that are coming out soon, and we'll see how things pan out in a couple of months.

The one largest in my mind's eye at this point in time is a little indie game called Endless Space.  It's coming out very soon.  July 4th soon, to be exact. Which...is a Wednesday.  Dafuq is that about?  In any case, there are a few reasons why I'm very interested in this game.  Mostly, it's because if it's done correctly, it will be "Civilization in Space".  That phrase alone makes this game have my nearly undivided attention.  The idea of having a game like Civ set in a galaxy full of explorable planets has a tremendous appeal for me, and I really, really, really hope this game is done properly.  I'm skeptical, because it's an indie game.  The funds to make it look fantastic might just not be there, and that would be a terrible shame.  But I will hope.

The other one that I just found out about today is the new Spider-Man game. This one has me HIGHLY skeptical, because games tied into their movies are always, ALWAYS horrible.  I saw footage of the game, and I learned a little bit about it.  I saw such good things.  It's open world.  It has randomized "events" like people getting mugged in the streets.  It looks good.  The combat looks like Arkham City.  WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO GET MY HOPES UP, YOU STUPID MOVIE TIE-IN?!

Ahem.

In any case, check back with me in half a year to find out if these games ended up dashing my hopes faster than a sawblade in Super Meat Boy.  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...