Saturday, June 02, 2012

Let It Grow, Let It Grow, Let It Grow!

First and foremost, I apologize for that title.  Depending on what kind of person you are, it was either a lame parody of a classic Christmas song or a very bad penis joke.

I spent a little bit of time outside this afternoon, and while I was out there I decided to take a few pictures of the current state of the garden.  It was a bit funny, too, because today is a partly cloudy day.  I was running around trying to snap pictures every time the sun would peek out from the clouds, so that the lighting would be correct.  

In any case, I took these pictures more for my own benefit because I enjoy looking back and seeing just how far things have come from the time I planted everything up to when things are in full bloom.  But I figured there's no harm in sharing the images.  Hopefully if I remember to do so, I'll take more shots in the summer when things should be at their height.  (Again, stop with the penis jokes.)

This first image is an interesting little flower that I found while purchasing my normal inventory of annuals.  I have no idea what it's called.  I simply refer to it as that orange daisy-like thing.


 

The purple flower in the next image are really cool because you can put them in direct sunlight without worrying about it affecting them negatively.  Impatiens like the shade (they'd grow amazingly well in England), and it's hard to find Petunias in purple.  So these things fill that void quite nicely.

Additionally, do you notice those light brown bits in the mulch?  Those are seedlings from the nearby maple trees.  I have probably yanked out a hundred maple tree saplings out of the garden so far this year.  I am pretty sure that I'm the only person standing between the maple trees and their full domination of the universe.


 

The flower on the right is a Marigold, and I'm pretty happy over the fact that it's blooming.  A week or so ago when we had the slug problem, that was their favorite treat.  They gorged themselves on every marigold I had.  But here it is a week later, and they're all blooming again (minus the slugs).  That goes to show how hardy they are.


This next image is an overview of the flowerbed between the garage and the porch.  The little plant in the bottom center is actually a blueberry bush that I planted just this year.  It's got little white flowers on it already, so I assume I can take that as a sign of it doing well.





The next shot is the flowerbed directly opposite the previous one.  The really tall things are Gladiolus.  They won't bloom until mid-summer.





This next shot is at the front of the house.  After I took this picture, I re-applied mulch all around that particular flower bed, so it looks even nicer now.  The sun was on an indefinite hiatus after I'd finished though, so I didn't bother taking another picture.





This next image is the flowerbed across from the bed in the picture two images back.  The strawberry bush is on the far corner, but you can't see it here.  It's not that interesting anyway, though it did flower this year.





And this is the vegetable garden.  Prominently in the front are the tomatoes and peppers.  In the back are beans and pumpkins.





This is a Lily.  Well, more specifically, it's a Summer Lily.  Blooming in Spring, mind you.  I love these things, so I put them everywhere.  No, really I did.  I must have planted a dozen of them this year.





Last but certainly not least, a large pot of Petunias.  Oh look, I found purple ones!







No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...