Tuesday, July 10, 2012

As most people who talk to me know, I hate Day Z.  This may seem hypocritical for two reasons.  Actually, scratch that, it IS hypocritical of me.  I fully admit that.  These reasons are:


1. I haven't played it.

2. Why am I talking about it if I hate it?

I'm talking about it because I don't necessarily -hate- it from the perspective that most people hate games.  It's not the gameplay I have a problem with, even if it's not exactly what I would want to see in a zombie survival game.  That's not it at all.  I actually think it's very cool that someone has taken such a serious and very realistic game (ARMA II) and have put zombies into it.

No, the problem I have with this game...no, this MOD (it's not even a game yet)...is that every time I turn around, there are four new articles about it.  Why?  Why is it so important?  Why have I seen 20 articles about Day Z since Max Payne 3 came out yet PC Gamer has yet to post their review of Max Payne 3?

I know the answer to this question already, actually, I just don't agree with it.  It is constantly in the news because it's something no one has done before.  It is innovative.  And it is very popular.  I can understand this, and yes, I do think these things deserve to give the mod some recognition.  Get the word out.  Tell people about it.  But I feel the coverage of this mod has been excessive.  Do I really need to hear about it every day?  Is a "Daily Update" article really necessary?  I don't think so.

I suppose you could make the argument, "Well PD, if you don't like reading about Day Z, then just don't read about it you fool!"  I guess that's fair, but to my point it's kind of hard to do that when it seems that everyone is reporting on Day Z -instead of- everything else.  See my Max Payne 3 example above.

The only thing I can do, though, is simply wait for it to die down.  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...