Tuesday, October 26, 2010

PD's 10 Scariest Moments in Gaming

Halloween is almost upon us.  So, I figured it would be a good time to list out what I think are the "10 Scariest Moments in Gaming".

Keep in mind that this is MY list.  I don't play all genres of games, so obviously your favorite might not be on the list.  Also, these are in no particular order.  



1. Friday the 13th (NES) - Generally, NES didn't really have scary games.  That's a Nintendo thing, I think, and the same concept is true even today with the Wii.  This game wasn't really all that scary, but it did get your heart pumping when Jason jumped out of nowhere to attack you (as he often did).  I remember screaming out loud when I was quite low on health at one point from being chased by zombies and ducked into a cabin to find health, only to have Jason in there waiting for me.  I peed a little, too, I think.

2. The Suffering - At the beginning of the game, when you first break out of prison, you're walking alone, in the dark.  You enter a cafeteria, and begin to hear the sound of metal scraping against metal.  Naturally, you expect something to jump out of the shadows at you.  Instead, something drops down from the ceiling right in front of you.  I shat myself.

3.  Doom 3 - Just...like...the entire game.  Specifially?  Turn on hard-core mode.  The zombies will sometimes reanimate.  Nothing matches the jump factor of casually glancing behind you to see a zombie shambling up to chew on your skullflap.

4. Quake 4 - The sequence when you are turned into a Strogg.  It's simply horrifying.



5. Amnesia - This game SEEPS fear.  Even the main menu scares the fucking crap out of me.  It's actually the embodiment of the type of fear that I don't like -- scariness mixed with DESPAIR.  Ew.  GET IT OFF.  *showers*

6.  Half-Life 2 - Ravenholm.  'Nuff said.  I had to go watch a Disney movie after playing that level.

7.  Dead Space - Claustrophobic fear.  Ugh.

8. Fallout 3 - Going into an abandoned Vault for the first time.  More claustrophobic fear, but at a different level from Dead Space.  In Dead Space, you pretty much knew there were monsters around at some point.  Vaults in Fallout 3 *could* be completely empty.  You never knew what you were going to get when you walked into one, and that added to the atmosphere.  Anticipation of something frightening is often more frightening than actually seeing it.

9. Aliens vs. Predator - The entire marine campaign.  Obviously.

10. Bioshock 2 - The first time you see a Big Sister.  Another moment where I nearly shat myself.



No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...