Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mastering Mastery

I'll admit, at first I didn't really consider Mastery as important right now. I assumed that it would come into its own later on when I started obtaining new pieces of gear having that stat on it from the start. So yeah, I pretty much dismissed it at first. But it bothered me, because I started to think it was rather silly for this new stat to exist and it to have no value to me. That seemed wrong.

So, as much as I didn't want to, I began calculating the numbers. When it comes to things like this, I never give a crap about precise calculations, for two reasons:

1. This is a game.
2. I am not a computer and therefore precise calculations are pointless.

Therefore, I always tend to do my calculations BROADLY, so I have an idea of what is correct without the lengthy algorithms and equations that other theorycrafters tend to create. It just hurts my brain less, and gives me the same general information.

So here is my theorycrafting of the Protection Warrior's Mastery Rating.

There are three stats in question. Dodge, Parry, and Mastery. I have other stats on my gear that can be re-forged (Hit and Expertise), but I need those stats to remain as-is to keep myself at the required 8% and 26 numbers, respectively.

Therefore, the main question to ask is: How much Dodge and Parry should I Reforge into Mastery?

To answer this question, we first need to take the following things into consideration:

1. First, we must realize what Mastery does. For a Protection Warrior, each point of Mastery increased Block and Critical Block chance by 1.25%. Mastery at level 80 (without any on your gear) is 8. So, all Protection Warriors gain 10% block and 10% critical block from Mastery at level 80 without any Mastery stats on their gear.

2. The next thing to take into consideration is that Mastery is not susceptible to diminishing returns, while Dodge and Parry are. This suggest that no matter what, Mastery will eventually become more valuable than Dodge or Parry. Obviously, finding the threshold would be important, but not really all that important yet.

3. We must take the "Hold the Line" talent into consideration, as it increases my chance to critically block by 10% for 5 seconds after a successful Parry.

4. We must also take Shield Block into consideration, as it increases my chance to block by 100% for 10 seconds, every 30 seconds talented. This makes half of my Mastery benefits useless for 30% of the time.

I can resolve concerns 3. and 4. right now. Because of Hold the Line, I conclude that it is most beneficial to keep Dodge and Parry nearly equal (since their benefits, DRs, and calculations are nearly the same), but keep Parry *slightly* higher. I also conclude that while Shield Block does make half of Mastery's benefit useless 30% of the time, it makes the critical block portion of it more beneficial, and therefore can be removed from the equation since the two balance each other out.

I didn't want to do a whole bunch of calculations if I didn't have to (and luckily, I didn't have to), so I first decided to see if I could increase my "unhittable" window simply by reforging. If so, then it's a no-brainer. Instead of hurting my brain, I just decided to do the re-forging and look at the numbers. it's just easier that way. So let's do a before and after, shall we?

All right, so when something swings at me, the game rolls 1-100. Before re-forging, I had a 5% chance to be missed, 22% chance to Dodge, 22% chance to Parry, and a 30% change to Block. Therefore:

Game rolls 1-5: Miss
Games rolls 5-27: Dodge
Game rolls 28-49: Parry
Game rolls 50-79: Block
Game rolls again
Game rolls 1-90: Block
Game rolls 91-100: Critical Block
Game rolls 80-100: Full hit

Most satisfactorily, when I reforged my Dodge and Parry equally into the Mastery, keeping Parry slightly higher, was left with a 5% chance to be missed, 19% chance to Dodge, 21% chance to Parry, and 40% chance to Block. So now:

Game rolls 1-5: Miss
Games rolls 5-24: Dodge
Game rolls 25-45: Parry
Game rolls 46-85: Block
Game rolls again
Game rolls 1-60: Block
Game rolls 61-100: Critical Block
Game rolls 86-100: Full hit

And no further calculations are required. This is all gain, and a no-brainer.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...