Thursday, March 27, 2008

I listen to music constantly, as many of you know. I'm listening to music when I'm at work writing huge SQL scripts, when I'm driving home (wanting to run people over), when I'm playing computer games, and just about any other time when I'm not sleeping. (That last point was a pathetic attempt to suggest that I do more than work, sleep, and play computer games. Did it work?)

Ever since I discovered the wonderful world of Fraps (No, that is NOT a euphemism for sex...this time.), I've enjoyed recording bits of cool sequences in computer games that I play and setting them to music. I'm sure you can find a few in the archives of my blog, but I'm way too lazy to look any of them up right now. I think the most recent one you'll find is a really cool Portal video.

As a result of this hobby-within-a-hobby, whenever I'm listening to music I'm always thinking to myself, "Hm, would this make a good computer-game-video song?"

The list of songs that I think work really well in such videos is quite short, and I'm going to share them with you now.

Map of the Problematique by Muse
I used this one in the aforementioned portal video. Probably my all time favorite to use in videos.

Twisted Transistor by Korn
It builds, it explodes, and then it steadily rocks. I will probably use this one in the next video I make, whatever it happens to be.

Firestarter by Prodigy
I've seen this used in other videos as well, it's pretty much a staple. I'll probably never use it because of that.

The Pretender by Foo Fighters
Again, it builds. These are the best types of songs to use in this situation, because you want to start things out quietly and then build it up.

Drag You Down by Finger Eleven
This song has so many uses. Use it when you want to be loud, when you're pissed, when you need to relieve some negative energy, or yes, even when you want to make a video.


Given the amount of time I spend in Warcraft these days, I haven't been making many such videos. Given my position as tank, it wouldn't be a very interesting video if all you saw was Tidewalker's foot or Void Reaver's robotic leg. Perhaps I should try to recruit a "Guild Recorder" to send me video footage of our raids. Hehe.

Conversely, however, my head is right at breast level on Solarian.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...