Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lost in Translation

Ordering Chinese food is always a treat, because I don't understand what the hell they are saying, nor do they understand what the hell I'm saying.

Today was made even more difficult by the fact that I knew this restaurant's menu better than the girl taking my order. There wasn't even a chance that I was pronouncing the names of the dishes incorrectly, because I was using their numbering system in addition to the name. And still the girl didn't know what the hell I was saying.

Then, another person got on the phone AT THE SAME TIME. How many Chinese people does it take to get my order right? Rhetorical question. If this lunch is accurate when (if?) it arrives, it's going to be a Buddhist miracle.


I find the map and draw a straight line, over rivers farms and state lines.
The distance from 'A' to where you'd be, is only finger lengths that I see.
I touch the place where I'd find your face, my finger in creases of distant dark places.

-- Set Fire to the Third Bar by Snow Patrol

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...