Friday, December 02, 2011

Seriously Finished

I finished Serious Sam 3 last night.  I'm sure you're very happy about that, because it means an end to the corny blog titles with the word "serious" or some form of the word thrown in.  Seriously.  In any case, the game didn't disappoint in regards to all the promises it made.  In other words, it was a triumph.  I'm making a note here:  HUGE SUCCESS.  It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

The final level was quite insane.  The precursor to the final boss fight was running through a winding cavern while killing literally thousands of enemies.  It had to be thousands.  I'm thinking there was between 200-300 of each type of enemy in the game charging at me through that cavern at some point in time.

After that insanity, it was time for the final boss fight.  His name was The Guardian of Time, and naturally he was as tall as a skyscraper.  The fight started with him wrestling with the large sand worm creature that had existed in every level throughout the game.  (It's designed so that if you leave the designated level area and wander out into the desert, the big sand worm would come out of the sand and eat you.  That way, you stayed on course.  It's basically how the developers made it so the desert LOOKED endless, but you couldn't go walking out into it, thus eliminating the need for invisible walls.  It was a good thing.)

So anyway, the Guardian of Time is wrestling the huge sand worm.  (Sam comments, "Are you two having an ugly contest?  Well guess what, you -both- win!")  It took me a bit of time and many deaths to figure out this fight.  It was a large area with several small huts filled with ammo -- mostly the ammo for the most powerful weapons.  Also, the entire time, endless waves of enemies were spawning -- primarily the most powerful ones.  I assumed that I simply had to whittle down the boss' health while keeping the endless wave of enemies to a manageable level.

The problem was that the boss' health regen'd faster than my most powerful weapon could damage him.  And that was when I would focus ONLY on the boss and completely ignore the spawning enemies.  So in other words, it wasn't working at all.  I didn't know what the game wanted me to do.  I saw these large javelins on the ground that I could pick up and throw (just like a spear, really), but I didn't see a place to hit the boss with them.  It was very confusing until I accidentally hit the jump button at one point.  When I did, I went flying up into the air.

I had a jetpack and didn't even know it.

Looking back, the jetpack must have been sitting among a pile of ammo that I had picked up, and I just didn't notice it.  And just now I remember hearing Sam, at one point, say "Who needs a chopper?"  That must be when I picked it up.  I just didn't see it, nor would I have noticed it on my back -- I'm in first-person so all I see of Sam are his hands and the weapon he's holding.  But in any case, I figured it out!  I had to grab a spear, jetpack up while the boss wrestled the sand worm, and throw the spear at the soft fleshy area on the creature's back.  When the boss wasn't distracted by the sand worm, I had to strafe away from it while thinning out the hordes of spawning enemies.  It all fell into place once I learned what I had to do.

The game ended just seconds before the very first game begins.  (It's a prequel, after all.  The full name of the game is Serious Sam 3: BFE.  Everyone assumes BFE stands for "Before First Encounter".  Since the first game was called "Serious Sam: The First Encounter".)

I have a very, very strong urge to play the other games now.  I own them, and they are the HD versions.  But I must resist.  I have Batman and Assassin's Creed to play.

Also, I mentioned in my previous post that I had two other videos to share regarding a few amusing bits of gameplay.  I've linked them below.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...