Friday, June 17, 2011

The Legend of the Star

Tonight, I was able to collect my 50th Sunset Sasparilla Star bottle cap.  It actually didn't take nearly as long as I thought, when knowing the locations, since I learned that usually you would find not 1, but 2–3 at each known site.  So that wasn't bad at all. 

I actually took a bunch of screenshots of finding the last bottle cap, taking it to the factory, turning them all in, and getting the treasure.  I was going to make a nice pictorial collage here of it all.  But sadly, I didn't realize that my keybinding for screenshot in FRAPS got reset.  So I actually took ZERO screenshots.  Bah!

So instead, you're going to have to rely on my writing skills to properly describe it.  Good luck with that! 

I found the 50th bottle cap in an old fisherman's shack on the side of a large lake.  The place was trashed, but the cap was sitting out in plain sight on a table next to some broken bottles and a box of Blamco macaroni and cheese.  What's interesting is that the quest did not tell me I had enough caps.  It actually expects you to not know, and guess by traveling back to the bottling factory to see if you do indeed have enough.  I really like how vague this one quest is (none of the others are like this).  It really makes you feel like it's quite rare.

So I collected this bottle cap, and made my way to the bottling factory to talk to the dilapidated robot there.  One of the dialogue options was to turn in my caps, so I did.  This led to my “prize”, which was simply the robot telling me the story of how Sunset Sasparilla came to be.  Not much of a prize.

After that story was all over, I had the dialogue option to basically ask “What the fuck?” in three different moods.  I was then given access to a secret room, where the “real” prize was stored. 

What's humorous is that the real prize was actually meant to be (at the time, y'know, before the nuclear holocaust) a worthless toy sheriff's badge. 

But, the room was also full of bottle caps.  Hundreds of them.  Since these are now the CURRENCY of the world…I'm rich!  Woo! 

Also, there was a dead body in this room, and he was holding a laser gun (called Pew-Pew).  Lovely! 

So yes, well worth the time. 

Now playing: Powerman 5000 - Bombshell

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...