Friday, June 24, 2011

Alice: Madness Returns

I've come to the conclusion that I'm the only person on the planet who has actually heard of this game.  And, if I by chance find someone else who HAS heard of it, they are so uninterested in it that they actually change the subject before I even finish my first sentence.  

This is a shame, really, because it's a rather good game.  Not great, mind you, but good.  It's also quite different, which I think is one of the reasons why it appeals to me so much.  It's sort of gothic horror, adventure gaming, and simple questing thrown into a blender with a box of crayons and pureed for three minutes. 

The first thing I noticed when I started playing was the art style.  It's…BIZARRE.  But in a good way.  Most of what keeps me playing is so that I can get to the next level and see what it looks like, and what weird shit I'm going to find.  I really like that. 

The gameplay itself is average.  Running, jumping, slashing, and collecting.  Over and over again.  There are a few new weapons that you get further along that try and spice things up a bit, but mostly it's all the same.  For this reason, it makes the game feel like it really drags on a bit, and sort of overstays its welcome. 

And since I've talked up the art style so much, I should probably provide a few screenshots then, hm?  Look how varied each one is.












So there you have it.  I'm going to continue playing through the game — I would assume I'm about one third of the way through it now.


Now playing: Three Days Grace - Bitter Taste

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...