Thursday, April 28, 2011

Incubus

No, not a male demon.

Incubus is my favorite rock band.  To anyone who knows me, assuming they know that my taste in music is just about as varied as you can get, those words will make them perk up their ears and take notice.  They will say, "Wat?  He has a favorite band?  They must be fucking brilliant, then."

The truth is, yes, they most certainly are.  And today they have firmly re-established and strengthened that fact in the form of a brand new song that physically makes me shiver.  Do you ever get that feeling?  You listen to a song, and suddenly you have goosebumps.  Man, I love when that happens.

Before I get to the new song, though, let me first explain the reasons why they are my favorite.  It all started in 1999 with the release of an album called "Make Yourself".  I listened to this album, and I realized something unprecedented.  I fucking loved 12 of the 13 songs on the album.  That never happens.  NEVER.  2-3 is normal.  4-5 is really good.  But 12?  No fucking way.

But it was true, and I then did something I never do.  I went BACKWARDS and listened to their older stuff, which consisted of two earlier albums.  And I liked that stuff too.  (Not as many tracks were winners as the "Make Yourself" album, but a large number were great and I was speechless.

And the lyrics...dear God the lyrics.  They still amaze me.  "The Warmth" sort of became the theme song for my life at one point, mostly due to these words:

"So do you think I should adhere, to that pressing new frontier?

And leave in my wake a trail of fear?
Or should I hold my head up high,
and throw a wrench in spokes by,
leaving the air behind me clear?"

Beautiful.

And of course, let's not forget the "Make Yourself" also contained "Drive" and "Pardon Me".

After "Make Yourself", I didn't think a band would ever make me feel that way again.  Their next album was "Morning View", and somehow, someway, they actually topped themselves.

I could listen to "Nice to Know You" 24 hours a day for the rest of my life and still not get sick of it.  "Circles", "Wish You Were Here", and "Warning" were just as good.  And the subtle "Aqueous Transmission" is the ultimate mellow song.

What fascinates me about Incubus is that they can change themselves and sound different, while still making you know they're still Incubus, and they still are fucking awesome.  "Make Yourself" and "Morning View" were pretty similar in their sound, and some would say that those two albums were when they were at their best.

I can understand that sentiment, but I also disagree.  Incubus to me is Incubus, and they're always at their best.

"A Crow Left of the Murder" followed "Morning View", and it was indeed different.  Once again, I liked EVERY song on that album in one way or the other.  I loved singing "Megalomaniac" in my car.

"Light Grenades" was different still, and it was at this point that I became thoroughly convinced that no matter what Brandon Boyd would sing, I'd fucking love it.  There's a song on this album that stands out above all the others, because I apply it to something very special and important to me.

The chorus of "Dig" is my pact to John.  When I listen to the song, it makes me remember the person I want to be, and allows me to look at myself and make sure I'm not covering up what's important.  These are the words:

"If I turn into another,

dig me up from under what is covering
the better part of me.
Sing this song!
Remind me that we'll always have each other
when everything else is gone."

You always hear about couples having problems, and one of them saying, "You're not the man I married!", or "I don't know you anymore!".  I feel this song speaks to that.  It's something that I never, ever want to happen.

And now, Incubus is going to be releasing a new album this summer called "If Not Now, When?"  The first single is out, and it's fucking beautiful.  Here's a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKD2fjBpHFk


The lyrics are so very simple in this song.  There aren't many words -- it's actually quite unlike them.  (Again, they are DIFFERENT, but still AWESOME.)  The song just sounds incredible...especially the bridge.  Goosebumps, man.  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...