Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Re-SULT.

When I loaded up Dead Space 2 for the first time, I was a bit disappointed and slightly annoyed that the mapping for mouse buttons was hard-coded.  Meaning, I could not change the mapping for my right and mouse buttons (which I really didn't care about), nor could I map my middle or thumb buttons to be ANYTHING at all (which I really DID care about).

Any time I play a shooter, I typically map the middle mouse button to be reload, and the thumb buttons I use for "most commonly uncommon actions".  In the case of DS2, I would have mapped "Force Grip" and "Stasis".  (So basically, I wanted to remap F and C to be the buttons on my mouse.)

DS2 currently doesn't allow this.  I simply sighed and moved on.

The other day, I was reading an article about a person with cerebral palsy who started an online petition to get button mapping patched into DS2.  His reasoning is that he flat out cannot play the game at all without being able to map mouse buttons because of his disability.  It was something I'd never thought of, and I signed his petition.

Today, I read another article that the makers of the game got the petition, and then released a press statement, saying they would be working on a patch to add the functionality to the game.

That, my friends, is just awesome.  My faith in big-budget game developers has just gone up a small notch.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...