Friday, January 08, 2010

New Year, New Games

PC Gamer came today.  February issue.  This is always one of my favorite issues because it contains all the games that are set to be released in 2010.  Granted, probably only about half of them will actually be released in 2010.  A third of them will become vaporware while another third will be delayed to 2011 and beyond.  But it’s still fun to read the magazine with the eyes of a child at Christmas time, looking at all the new toys Santa might be bringing.  Ho-ho-ho.

Probably the one that has me excited most of all is The Old Republic.  A Star Wars MMO done correctly will just end my involvement in any other games in existence.  Of course, this game still isn’t a guaranteed 2010 release.  How about looking a bit more closer to the present?

Well, there’s Starcraft 2 of course.  Yes, it’s not vaporware yet.  It’s got a nice subtitle:  Wings of Liberty.  And it’s scheduled for a March 2010 release.  Admittedly, I’m not really that excited.  I wasn’t big into the first one. 

Most interestingly is Crysis 2.  I’ve seen some screenshots of this one, and it looks fantastic.  I’ve recently replayed Crysis on my new system, since I had to crank down many of the effects settings on my old system, and the game still impresses the shit out of me.  I can’t even imagine what Crytek will do to push the boundries in their sequel. 

Star Trek Online is going to be the first major release I’ll play, most likely.  I’ve already prepurchased it, and I’m going to be involved in the prepurchase beta that starts on January 12th.  I can’t wait to see how they are applying an MMO structure to the Star Trek universe. 

Then there’s WoW Cataclysm.  Yawn. 

Now, I admit I’ve never played Mass Effect.  I need to rectify that situation very soon, because the screenshots for Mass Effect 2 look amazing.  Is that cell shading?!

There’s a new Fallout game in the works, and it’s being developed by Obsidian rather than Bethdesda.  That right there is enough to spark my interest. 

Bioshock 2 was delayed to this year.  Until I get more definitive proof that it’s actually coming out in 2010, I’m not going to get overly excited about it.

Lastly there’s Aliens Vs. Predator.  Oh the memories I have of AvP2 back in the day…


Now playing: Lily Allen - Fuck You

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...