Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Serious Boss is Serious

Since I've reached bit of a content plateau within Borderlands 2, and since the WoW servers went down early for Patch 5.1's release, I opted to play through the Serious Sam 3 DLC, Jewel of the Nile.  No, not the movie.  Though, if you have seen that movie, you earn a special place among my list of friends.  Actually, no, that's not enough.  Let's see...oh, I got it!  If you've seen Jewel of the Nile -and- you've played Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, THEN you earn a special place among my list of friends.  

ANYWAY.

So the DLC itself was pretty fun.  It's three new levels added on to the game, taking place somewhere in the middle of the main campaign.  It's more of the same, as it damn well should be:  There are a lot of bad guys, and you shoot them.  Or blow them up.  Or shoot them while they're blowing up.  It's a hell of a lot of fun.  One of my favorite bad guys from the first game is back, too, so I was pretty happy about that.  Also, the plasma gun is back too.  I'm doubly happy about that.

As far as difficulty goes, it was pretty much on-par with the rest of the proper game.  I died a few times.  Mostly blowing myself up with C4.  (I tend to do that on those large asshats that can only be killed by C4 to the chest.)

And then I got to the end.

Now, the final boss of the campaign in the main game was pretty difficult.  I actually had to look that one up because I had no idea what I was doing.  I didn't even realize I had a jetpack.  To be fair, the game didn't TELL me I had a jetpack.  But then, the Serious Sam games have always been quite old school in that regard, in that hints are non-existent.  (Please keep it that way.)

With the final boss of the DLC, well, it's pretty obvious what I need to do.  I did check online to ensure I was on the right track, and I am.  It's just a matter of doing it, because it's freaking hard.  The boss has five times more health than the final boss of the main game.  He fires a cannonball volley, and one cannon will one shot you even if you have 100 health and 100 armor.  That's his ranged ability.  In melee range, he has a big hammer.  That will also one shot you.

The tactic is to drop C4 at his feet.  Lots of C4.  While avoiding the hammer, of course.  There are audio prompts that tell you when you need to get the hell out.  What worries me is the pair of adds that come with him.  I'm not sure how to avoid their fireballs at the same time.  I guess I have to kill them first, but I'm not sure how to kill them without taking my eyes off the main boss.  If I do that, I'll get a cannon to the face.  I'll have to think about it.  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...