Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Neglect

Actually, it hasn't been quite as long as I thought since my last post.  But it's been long enough for me to still prefer to draw attention to it.  It's not that I haven't had much to say recently, but more that I haven't had the desire nor the time to say it.  At least, not here.  And the time excuse is fickle.  I could certainly find the time, I'm sure, just like I find the time to do the things that I want to do.  I find the time to read every night before I go to bed.  I find the time to play video games even though I'm an adult with a demanding job and responsibilities to take care of at home.  So, it's definitely about 80% desire and 20% time.  Though, more accurately, it's probably 82.62% to 17.38%.  Plus or minus 3%.

That changed a few days ago.  Obviously.  Else I wouldn't be sitting here writing something right now, would I?  The inspiration first came from another blogger -- Tim Buckley, the artist for CTRL+ALT+DEL.  If you have never read his webcomics, I suggest that you do.  This is especially true if you enjoy the types of things that I discuss most often -- that being pop culture and video games.  That is also his specialty, and he does a much better job at it than I do since he can draw.  There's one pretty notable difference between him and I, however:  I'm openly saying he's a better source of what I'm good at talking about, and I really don't give a fuck if you go read his shit instead of mine.

In any case, he recently ended his comic.  Or rather, he ended the current incarnation of it.  He has plans for starting over in a different way, and watching it happen and reading his thoughts about it sort of ignited the spark in me to contribute to my own blog again.  Now the desire to do so has risen above the threshold necessary and voila.  You have a blog post.

The other nudge in this direction happened last night, actually, as I was watching Sherlock with John.  (I would be talking about the BBC television show.  Not the movies with Robert Downey Jr.  Which are also very good.  And not the Americanized version of the show called Elementary.  I haven't seen that and I really don't think I want to.) We re-watched the very first episode, since it's been quite some time since we'd seen it.  (It was last Christmas in England when we saw it last, if I'm not mistaken.)  The scenes regarding both Sherlock and Dr. Watson keeping a blog further inspired me to contribute to my own.

So now that we've got my reasons for being back here out of the way, I suppose the most pressing question at hand is whether or not it will become a regular thing as before and not something that happens every two to three weeks or so.  The answer is a vague hopefully.  While it's true that my desire to write had waned there for a bit, it never went away completely.  I still enjoy doing it, and like in the Sherlock series it's a little bit of self-therapy for me.  As it would be for anyone.  It's always good to talk through your problems, even if it's just to yourself.  Though, admittedly (and thankfully) I tend to keep my problems out of this blog.  Because that just wouldn't be interesting at all.  If you want to hear a bunch of people whining about life, go to Facebook.

Now that I'm here, I may as well call attention to the elephant in the room, and the reason why I haven't had the desire to post as much as usual.  Given how completely I am ingrained within the gaming community, I sometimes forget that everything I know isn't necessarily common knowledge.  The desire to write about something is sort of suffocated when you have the feeling that you're not really saying anything that people don't already know.  That's sort of the feeling I've been having lately.

But, I just need to realize it's not always going to be like that, and just talk about whatever the hell it is I feel like talking about.  Pretty simple, really.  So you can expect that, as always.  

1 comment:

Sue Boyson said...

Welcome back!

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...