Thursday, November 29, 2012

Patch 5.1 for WoW was released yesterday.  Or Tuesday, if you're playing on the North American/Oceanic servers.  With it comes the start of the Horde versus Alliance campaign in Pandaria, which equates to the main storyline of the whole expansion.  A lot of people dissed this idea, saying that it was stupid to have that be the main focus of an entire expansion.  After all, every expansion has had a main villain!  Oh...wait!  The original game didn't.  How silly of me.  Wouldn't it be ironic if I was one of those people who complained that the game was better in vanilla and also criticized the lack of a main villain to focus the story upon?  I'm sure there's no one out there silly enough to do that.

In any case, the patch adds main quests, daily quests, and scenarios with which to tell an on-going story detailing the clashes between the Horde and the Alliance as they both land in the Pandaria.  I've done very little of it so far, of course, since it was only day 1 yesterday and a lot of the things are certainly reputation bound.  What I've seen I've enjoyed very much, as tends to be the case any time Blizzard pushes along the main story of Warcraft.  The problem with a game like WoW, meaning an MMO with months between content updates, is that you get the story piecemeal and must wait very long times for a conclusion.  As such, I never get fully invested in it.  It's impossible.  For me, if I get engrossed fully into a story, I want to do it at my own pace.  This requires the story to be complete, and sitting right in front of me for me to consume at the pace in which I want to consume it.  This is why I very rarely watch serial TV shows that aren't yet over or canceled.

Fortunately, Blizzard is very good at the piecemeal method of story telling and does a good job of making it very enjoyable without leaving you with that "Oh-FFS-now-I-have-to-wait-3-months" feeling.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...