Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Arrrr, Matey

I started playing The Legend of Dead Kel expansion pack for Kingdoms of Amalur last night.  I call it an expansion pack, because that's basically what it is:  It's a new area on the map with new quests and new mobs and new things to do.  It's not a pack of weapons or anything like that.  It's how DLC should be done.  You get 15% more map to explore for 16.6% of the price of the original game.  I'm sure some self-entitled twat is going to complain about that, but I'm certainly not.

The expansion itself starts out with a pretty basic formula.  You walk into a local tavern, and a man there asks you if you want to make a little extra money.  He then propositions for you to set sail with a crew in a hunt for an undead pirate named Dead Kel and his crew of "Hanged Man" pirates.  I don't know about you, but that sounds like a pretty fun adventure to me.

As expected, your ship crashes on the shore of a new land ripe for exploring.  You spend a bit of time navigating through some waterlogged caves with the inept captain of your now decimated ship, and then end up in a village that seems to be oddly immune to Dead Kel's influence.  That's pretty much where I left off last night, as it was quite late when I started playing anyway.

So far, the formula of the expansion is exactly the same as the main game, which is perfectly fine by me.  I found some new enemies, and the new areas are nicely designed.   I've only explored the beach of the shipwreck, and that's it, so I've got a lot of ground to cover yet.  I haven't even finished exploring the first main settlement, let alone the wilderness that awaits beyond.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...