Sunday, July 10, 2011

Minerva's Den

I've never had a problem with DLC packs.  If there was a game I really didn't like all that much, chances are any DLC that would be released for it wouldn't change my mind of that face.  Therefore, I just wouldn't buy the said DLC.  And, if it was a game I really enjoyed, I'd have no problem spending a couple of bucks to have that experience extended.  


PC Gamer reminded me the other day that there was a DLC for Bioshock 2 called Minerva's Den.  I skipped the first DLC for this game because it just didn't seem like it was all that worth it to me.  All you got was some new items for the multi-player aspect of the game.  Granted, I played more Bioshock 2 multi-player than I have for just about any other shooter except for Counter-Strike and perhaps Aliens vs. Predator, but still, I didn't see it as being worth it. 

Minerva's Den is different.  It's a stand-alone single-player add-on for Bioshock 2, and it has a completely self-contained story.  And it's five hours long.  Hm.  Yes please! 

For the story, you are once again in control of a Big Daddy, and your task is to infiltrate Minerva's Den and find this computer.  This computer is special, because it has a really advanced AI, punctuated by its clever name:  The Thinker. 

Meanwhile, there are two guys fighting over the whole place.  Apparently, they used to be partners.  But, the one guy wanted to use the machine for evil, while the other wanted to turn it into his dead wife.  I'm still trying to decide which of these is worse. 

In any case, so far I have been really pleased with the game play.  It's good to be back in Rapture, and I'd say it more resembles the Rapture we had in Bioshock 1 than in Bioshock 2.  The thing that has appealed to me most of all about this little stand-alone slice of Rapture is that it seems to be encouraging exploration.  I'm finding all kinds of secret nooks and crannies containing boxes, items, corpses holding loot, etc. 

The combat is what we remember from a Bioshock game — advanced weapons, plasmids, and lots of insane Splicers to kill. 

All in all, it's great to be playing more Bioshock, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this little story is going to play out.  I'm sure I'll more to share about it as I progress! 

In the meantime, here are a couple of screenshots I've taken thus far.  Enjoy!






No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...