Monday, January 21, 2008

I listen to different songs depending on my mood. If I have a lot of negative energy, I listen to stuff that is loud, fast, and heavy. If I'm feeling mellow, then what I listen to will be mellow.

What's interesting though is what I listen to when I'm pissed off about something. It's quite a wide-range of songs, and is utterly situational. By situational, I'm not referring to the description of that which is pissing me off. I'm referring to the other end of the spectrum, and you have to understand that most of the time something that pisses me off isn't generally the reason I'm pissed off. It's usually what I have to do to fix whatever it is. Or, conversely, it's me being unable to do anything at all.

A good example of this is the situation going on right now with my ear. I'm not pissed that it's clogged. I'm pissed that it's SO clogged that I have to take time out of my life to go to a doctor to get it fixed. I can deal with a bit of discomfort for a few days, but this is ridiculous.

So anyway, I found a song that fits my current mood that I would like to share with you. (I'm listening to it with my left ear only, considering I can't hear even music coming from an earbud in my right ear. Pathetic.)

I mentioned a few days ago about Blue October, and I've grown attached to another one of their songs called "Drilled a Wire through My Cheek" Nice title, no?

For the most part, my reason for liking this song is primarily for the way the chorus sounds. The words of this chorus are quite simple:

So drill it. So drill it.
So hard.
I feel it.
*screaming*


(Any good song in an "I'm Pissed" playlist should have screaming in it.)

The rest of the lyrics are also quite intriguing, and I've yet to decide for myself exactly what they mean. Blue October is the type of band who wants you to come to your own conclusions as to what their songs mean, and they never really tell you what THEIR idea of the meanings are. The first part of it, at first glance, appears to be about rape:

I try to stay on top of you
To hold your body down
Your shaking seems to hinder
Every grap that I have found


But I'm not convinced that rape is even a theme of this song. The best that I've come up with so far is that the guy in the song tried everything to give his best to a girl, and it was never enough. Of course, my favorite eight lines of the song don't exactly jive with that idea:

It's proof to show that I bleed for this
And I've cut myself the shame.
But to get to know this masochist
Who has stolen my first name
Pretending he's a teacher
Holding all my weight at ease
Yet the teacher seems to split in two
Destroying both his knees


Your guess is as good as mine. I suppose the teacher could be himself. He could have gone insane from trying to please this girl, and developed a second personality.

In any case, it's a great song. I highly recommend you check it out if you have the chance, especially if you're in a mood matching mine at this point and time.

Back to my scripting I go.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...