Monday, October 23, 2006

Joys of a Backup PC

When using a spare PC, it's amazing how many little things you discover that you use every single day. The first time I wanted to check my bank accounts online, I of course had to look up my login information, install a security plug-in, and switch a security setting in my web browser. Making a post on my blog? Again, had to look up my login information, install a java plugin, install an embedded video plugin, and adjust my firewall to allow permissions to publish.

The best, however, was when I went to download something from my newsgroup. First, I had to remember the URL to the site, and my login. After that, I had to install GrabIt, which is the program that interprets the NZB files from the site and downloads the stuff I need. After installing GrabIt, I had to provide it the newsgroup information, which including ANOTHER username and password. This I couldn't remember, and thus had to have it reset and emailed to me by the newsgroup. After getting that setup, I finally was able to download my shit. But, the nightmare just wasn't over! The files were .RAR, and of course I didn't have WinRAR. I downloaded WinRAR professional........and it was packaged up in .RAR files. BRILLIANT!!! So I had to download the free version of WinRAR so I could extract the real version and install it. Then I had to download and install QuickPAR to verify the RAR files before unextracting them.

It took me about 1,837 times longer to get READY to download the little program I wanted than it did to actually download it.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...