Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Classic Mom Stuff

My mom is a typical mom. She worries about the most minor of things that happen to her kids, yet doesn't worry about the really important stuff happening to HER. Case in point:

I still don't understand why she feels that she has to keep telling me, "Sorry about your computer." Huh? You're sorry? For what? Did YOU blow it up? I don't think so... Besides, it's a COMPUTER. It's not like I had something amputated.

As a continution of this example, this following conversation ensued last night. She started it.

"Are you okay?"
"What do you mean?"
"You're not sick are you?"
"Nooooo, not that I know of. Why do you ask?"
"Earlier this week you looked stressed out. And you've lost weight."
"Are you on crack?"
"Maybe you should go get a physical."

At this point I was laughing my ass off. But, of course, I had to explain myself thoroughly to get her off my case.

"First of all, I was stressed out earlier this week because the whole damn house was filled with smoke and I had no idea WHY until I noticed it was bellowing out of my computer. Secondly, yes, I have lost weight, because I am 6'2" and weighed 200 pounds, which is above the average BMI for a person of my skeletal structure. I'm now down to 180 pounds, which is a perfectly acceptable weight, although I would like to be more around 170-175."


The long explanations do the trick every time. I'm surprised she noticed I lost weight though -- typically when a person loses anything less than 30-40 pounds, only people that don't see them everyday can notice it.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...