Sunday, March 26, 2006

Oblivious because of Oblivion


I had heard about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion way back in November, and how everyone was predicting it would set a new standard for action role-playing games. At the time, I didn't think very much of it, and went about my merry way playing F.E.A.R. and the expansion pack to Doom 3.

On Monday, I got my issue of PC Gamer, and they had a 4-page review of the game. By this point, I had forgotten all about it, and didn't even know it had been released. I read the review, and looked at the screenshots, and realized that I needed to be playing this game immediately.

The norm for RPG games is that the graphics are always a little bit inferior to first-person shooter games, because in an RPG you need to detail EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the world, because your character needs to be able to pick up EVERYTHING. That's not necessarily true in a shooter, since all you really need to pick up is ammo and healthpacks, with occasional other items. In an RPG, you can pick up ANYTHING in the world, whether to use it or to just sell it for gold. Because of that, if an RPG had graphics like Half-Life 2, it would rape your computer.

As such, this game rapes your computer, because the graphics rival that of today's high-tech shooters. It's GORGEOUS.

Now, the game isn't just another pretty face either. The actual gameplay is top-notch -- I love delving down into dungeons and catacombs, because it's like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. There are booby traps everywhere, along with zombies and walking skeletons, all obstructing your path to the treasure. I haven't even completed my first main mission yet, because I keep getting distracted by all the side missions.

Another aspect of the game that I'm really enjoying is the sound effects. The sound my arrows make as they leave my bow remind me of how Legolas' arrows sounded in LOTR -- the snap followed by the cool whistle.

I've played the game for several hours already, and as I said, I haven't even completed the first main mission yet. DE-LOVELY. It took me an hour to walk to this one city, the world is HUGE.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...