Monday, April 22, 2013

The past week was a little weird.  The punctuation on the whole thing was Friday, when I was operating on less than two hours of sleep from the previous night.  The entire day, I felt like I was floating around rather than walking.  I assume that to some degree, that's how people strung out on drugs tend to feel all the time.  I remember the entire day with surprising clarity, however.  I also remember how I felt.  I barely had enough energy to physically function, let alone control my own thoughts.  As a result, I let things bother me more than they usually would.  With the Boston Marathon Bombings fresh in my mind, a rather depressing book I was reading, a sore neck, along with a few other items falling into the category of Kick-You-While-You're-Down, Friday ended up being a lesson in timing and perspective.

But now it's Monday, and I feel fine.  Things have worked themselves out, or I have worked them out for myself.  The two men who bombed the Boston Marathon have been identified.  One of them is dead and the other one is captured.  I finished the book I was reading and found out it wasn't really that bad after all.  Things are better now.  And I'm awake.

I hear you asking about the book I was reading?  It's a dark-fantasy novel by Joe Hill, called Horns.  To put it most simply, it explores the idea of the devil being an anti-hero, rather than purely evil.  The book was fascinating while at the same time depressing.  It left me with the feeling that there were no good people in the story, and that everyone has an ugly side to them.  My thought on the matter is that I already realize that everyone has a dark side.  I don't need to be reminded of the fact in a work of fiction.  Still, the storytelling in the book was fantastic.  I can see why it's being made into a movie coming out this year.

Let's see.  What's new?  It was rather cold as balls this weekend, so I didn't get outside to do anything.  However, the seeds in the back room have mostly sprouted.  I'm not sure yet if I'm going to manage to avoid having gnarly seedlings or not.  It's a bit too early to tell.  I think I'm doing the lighting correctly, but who knows.  


Dead Island: Riptide comes out tomorrow.  I didn't pre-purchase it, nor do I plan on getting it unless the reviews are favorable.  I will say that I -enjoyed- the first game, but it didn't leave enough of an impression upon me to warrant getting exciting for a sequel.  I'll play the wait-and-see game on that one.  The only thing it has going for it is that right this moment, I wouldn't mind having a new shooter to play.  And I do like killing zombies.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...