Sunday, May 06, 2012

I saw a meme the other day featuring the Y U NO guy.  It said, "Seasons, Y U NO in order this year?!"  It made me laugh because it's pretty accurate.  The winter was incredibly mild.  It was actually quite nice, but we're going to pay for it.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that mild winters lead to summers that are really bad for bugs.  This makes sense to me when I think about it -- if it doesn't get cold enough to freeze quite deeply under the ground, then all those damned eggs the insects laid are going to survive.  Lots of them.  I think it will be quite unpleasant.

In any case, the seasons really were out of whack.  We had three weeks of wintry-type weather in late April, and that really sucked.  It was really nice out for just about all of March and part of April.  Because of this, as you may recall me posting here, I started a bunch of seeds indoors, thinking that I would plant them sometime in late April.  Given my description of late April above, you can imagine it didn't quite work out that way.  This weekend was the first really nice weekend in about a month, and the seeds I've planted are now a gangling, stringy mess.

I took the stuff outside today, and I salvaged what I could -- this amounted to about five pumpkin plants and two bean plants.  We'll see if they actually grow.  I haven't really looked at the flower seeds yet, but I think all the Alyssium are salvageable.  The rest, probably not.

That's okay though, it's not like seeds are expensive or anything.

Aside from that, I got a lot of other things done outside today.  I purchased 4 tomato plants and 4 pepper plants yesterday, and I planted all of those.  I have no doubt they will fare better than my attempt as germinating seeds indoors.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...