Friday, August 19, 2011

Anticipation

There are a lot of new games on the horizon.  I really don't remember ever having so many different titles to think about, to the point where I'm actually forgetting about some of them.  I'll see a news article or snippet and go, "OMG that's right, someone is making THAT!"

Before I get into that a bit more, I have two observations to share with you first.  These are things that I've found quite amusing.

First, I always find it amusing when people get SO INCREDIBLY excited about a sequel to a game where they felt the first installment was mediocre.  Sure, the developers have a chance to improve upon what they did the first time -- but chances are if you didn't like the game the first time around, you're not going to like the sequel!

Second, I've learned that it is inevitable that every game will "fall from grace". Every.  Single.  One.  I personally do not believe it's because game developers make bad decisions.  (Sometimes they do.)  I think it's because the gaming community, and perhaps human beings in general, just want to be miserable and will thus latch onto any little negative thing they can find about a game.

And now, let's explore all these new games coming out, shall we?

Let's start with the ones coming out very soon.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The original Deus Ex was brilliant because of how much freedom of choice it offered the player.  The new game looks set to repeat that brilliance.

Dead Island

I'm not sure about this one.  It looks like "Left 4 Dead on an Island".  Though, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The appeal of this game to me will depend on how well the multi-player is executed.

Space Marine
I've never been a huge fan of the Warhammer series.  But, I will try this.

A bit further out, now.  These games are more than a couple of months away.

Rage
id Software has never disappointed me.  They know how I like my shooters.

Mass Effect 3
Sheperd's conclusion will be an epic event, there's no doubt in my mind.

Borderlands 2
I played the HELL out of the first one (and sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who did).  But apparently I wasn't, because a sequel is on the way!

DOTA 2
I will play it, but the whole denying thing bothers me.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
I have never finished an Assassin's Creed game.  Maybe this one will be the first!

Prey 2
I liked the first one.  Solid game with some cool mechanics.  The sequel looks like an utter departure, but in a really, really good way.

Star Wars: The Old Republic
This is probably the game I am most excited about.

Far Cry 3
I enjoyed the first, and I sort of enjoyed the second.  We'll see which way this one goes.

Bioshock Infinite
An interesting departure from Rapture, this has some great potential.

Batman: Arkham City
Oh god yes.  Open world Batman!

Skyrim
I don't think there's any possible way this game won't rock my world.

Aliens: Colonial Marines
This needs to be better than AvP.

Guild Wars 2
I just want to roll a Charr.


There's a bunch more -- Torchlight 2, The Secret World, Wildstar, Scrolls, and more.  But you get the idea.  There's a LOT of game incoming!

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...