Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mindless Rambling

This is one of those days where just about everything is annoying me more than it really should.  I'm not particularly sure which higher power I pissed off today, but it seems to be holding my happy thoughts hostage.  That bastard.  


In all seriousness, though, I can rightfully explain the reasons for my volatile mood today.


First off, my neck is bothering me.  Over the weekend, probably Saturday night, I must have slept in a rather awkward position or something like that, because it's been aching me ever since.  I can't turn it from side to side very quickly without getting a shot of pain, and when I'm stationary, I'm left with this annoying dull ache.  I'm sure this is having quite a big effect on my general mood.  It's better today than it was yesterday, but the fact that it's been grinding away at my nerves for 3 days now tends to make one a bit grumpy.


More indirectly, lately I've been feeling as though I lack substantial accomplishment and the satisfaction that goes with it.  I blame this on a number of different things.  Primarily, work is pissing me off.  I'm working on a project that is an utter cluster-fuck.  While I appreciate the fact that I'm being relied upon for a very important task, I'm annoyed by a phone call I received this morning from my boss.  Though I'm sure it was not his intent, he basically threatened me to succeed or people would lose their jobs.  No pressure!  


So basically, I'm just not in a very good position there.  I'm quite certain that my team and I will be able to come up with a solution that will work and get us by.  I'm just not sure how much pain I'm going to have to put them through in order to get there.  I know that some people put a lot of pride into their work and are willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.  While I, too, am willing to put in that extra effort to get things done, I do not and never will want my job to be the focal point of my life.  Ever.  I have no desire to work 80 hours a week and weekends in order to succeed.  (And in my opinion, if that is required to succeed, there's something horribly wrong, somewhere.)


Generally, though, these kinds of work-related annoyances don't generally affect my mood all that much, because the other aspects of my life counter-act them.  It just so happens that I'm facing a few unfortunate circumstances at this particular time.  First of all, I usually get a tremendous sense of accomplishment out of playing WoW.  We're currently at the ass-end of an expansion at this time, however, so there's not left to do in-game right at this moment.  To add insult to injury in that particular regard, each time a new phase of the "Invasion" is launched, my server is unable to participate fully because of bugs.  Last time, half of the quests were bugged for a day.  This time, half of the actual invasion is bugged and we have yet been able to queue up for two of the new elemental bosses.  This has yet to be fixed, and the Blizzard FAQ states "we do not have a solution to this problem at this time".  


But enough whining!  It totally goes against my character.  (I blame my neck.  Seriously.)


I got an email today asking me to join the beta for Darkspore.  Naturally, my reaction was "WTF is Darkspore?".  Apparently it's a game based on the ending of Spore.  You travel the universe fighting off evil Spore creatures.  That's...actually kind of interesting.  But I hated Spore.  Pass.  


In other news, I saw an awesome one-liner on the forums today.  "Allow me to dredge up some care from Give-a-Fuck Bay!"  I lol'd.  I'm definitely using that at some time.  I'll file it away in my brain along with "Enough with the tears, Captain Crybucket!".  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...