Tuesday, May 04, 2010

So a few weeks ago, it was announced that the entire Dark Tower series would be adapted into a trilogy of films, with Ron Howard directing. 

I'm not sure what to say to that.  Ron Howard makes good movies.  Really good movies.  But The Dark Tower is not the kind of material he usually works with.  He's done work in a completely fantastical setting with his Grinch movie, but that was also a completely uplifting and feel-good movie.  He's also done some dark themes in his Da Vinci Code films, but these are also very realistic movies.  With the Dark Tower, we're talking about a story that crosses many different genres.  No matter who decides to tackle it, it's going to be a challenge for them. 

I'm also not sure what to make of the plan to convert seven books into three films.  I guess I should be thankful for that, though.  I mean, if they decided to do a film for each book, it would take, what, 35 years to complete the project?  If ther are going to be Dark Tower movies, I'd like to see them before I'm ready to retire.  I have issues with how long it takes to make a movie, really, but that's a topic for another day.  (Ten years to make Avatar, James Cameron?  What the fuck?)

It's also reported the Akiva Goldsman will be writing the screenplays for the three Dark Tower films.  This I can get behind.  He wrote both the Da Vinci movies, he wrote Constantine (which is such an underrated film in my opinion), and he writes for the Fringe TV series.  I believe he's got what it takes to write a great adaptation of this series. 

Now, how about getting this shit rolling and enter pre-production already?

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...