Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Being a child that was born, relatively speaking and especially during the time I was born, late, I knew that I would have to have a certain level of maturity beyond what my age suggested. I would have to deal with certain things in my life ten, fifteen, maybe even twenty years before other normal people my age.

My parents were 40 years old when they had me. While not totally uncommon these days, it's still not something that's regularly practiced. It was even less common back in 1981 when I was born. From the time when I was mature enough to generally think for myself and ponder life's problems, I knew that I would have to deal with at least one certain fact of life long before normal people my age -- that of my parents getting older.

My parents are now 69 and 68 respectively, and I am 28. And this week, the first sign that my parents are getting old has not only shown itself, but has come crashing into my life way too loudly than anyone would have liked.

Currently, my father is laying in a hospital bed. He feels fine, but a routine stress test led the doctors to discover that he requires double heart bypass surgery. His largest artery leading to his heart is blocked by 95%. 99 out of every 100 people with that much blockage in that particular artery either show up to the hospital in an ambulance, or in a body bag. He walked in.

Sitting down now after visiting him at the hospital, I'm left feeling depressed that I'm *here* already. My parents are getting old, already. And no amount of personal conditioning that you've done to yourself will make it any less painful when something finally does happen, such as this.


As depressing as that may be, I'm ever thankful that right here and right now, they are both still with me, and I am thankful for that all of the time -- not just when something bad happens. That is one of the perks of being a late child. It gives you that awareness that you need to cherish *right now* before it's gone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My parents were in their late 30's when I was born as well. Lost my father 2 years ago, a victim of alzheimer's, dimentia and remnants of cancer and it's treatments. I look at every day my mom is still in my life as a blessing, and I wish I lived closer to her so I could spend more time with her. She's my hero.

You're loved bro, and your 'rents are being prayed for.

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...